What do I need for mantrailing?
Patience, respect & confidence!
- Trailing harness (an y-model harness is a must).
- A 10 meter long leash (preferably a round leather leash, for smooth line handling and some elasticity to prevent line checks).
- A regular dog collar, no chain/slip collar.
- Plastic containers and AMAZING dog treats.
- If your dog loves to play with a toy you can bring that too.
- Water for your dog, in a bottle so you can take it with you.
- A snack for chewing or a Kong that you can give your dog at the end of the trail.
- Waist bag so you can take treats and water with you on the trail.
- Gloves (optional).
- Good shoes and waterproof clothing for the handler.
- Reflective safety vest for the handler.
- Reflective safety vest for the dog and/or a light beacon.
- Tick/mosquito repellant.
- Poop bags.
In between exercises:
- Notebook to keep track of progress.
- Car with a dog kennel or comfortable blanket (the dog needs to be able to rest in the car).
- Chew bones, stuffed kong, or a puzzle toy to help the dog relax in the car.
- A blanket to cover the car if your dog is restless in the car. You also need to work on this at home, ask for advice.
- Optional: A silver shade cloth and a tailgate lock that allows for ventilation in the car
During the first few lessons, long leashes and tracking harnesses can be borrowed from Mantrailing Overijssel.
Two-way radios, GPS-loggers, shade cloth…
More information about the materials we use during training and where it can be ordered.
GPS loggers; GT-730FL-S USB
Two-way radio; Motorola TLKR T80
Silver shade cloth; Aluminet 70% schaduwnet
Tailgate lock; Ventlock kofferbaksluiter